How to Help

If you suspect someone of being financially abused, there are several actions you can take:

  • Report the crime by calling your local Adult Protective Services and state attorney general's office.
  • File a police report.
  • Explore options at your local probate court if your state has such courts.
  • The court can intervene if someone in the family is misusing a power of attorney or their role as guardian or conservator.
  • Contact advocacy organizations.  The National Center on Elder Abuse offers guidance on how to investigate and seek justice for elder abuse.  State laws vary, but some have elder abuse statutes and may be able to get restitution for breach of fiduciary duties.
  • Try to get a temporary restraining order from a court while building your case.
Philip J. Kavesh
Nationally recognized attorney helping clients with customized estate planning guidance for over 40 years.
Post A Comment