The job of executor is likely to go more smoothly, if the focus is on basic duties.
The Wills, Trusts & Estates Prof Blog recently noted that organization and focusing on the basics can make the job of executor much easier in “Top 5 Things to Remember if You’re the Executor,” including:
- If you do not know what you are doing, then hire a professional estate attorney who can help you. Let the attorney worry about what needs to be done and when. The attorney can make sure you are doing what you are supposed to be doing.
- As soon as you possibly can, get a copy of the death certificate. This will allow you to make your status as executor official with the probate court.
- Make sure you are casting a wide net and getting everything that possibly needs to be included in an estate. Do not just rely on what the will says, but check around for other assets and liabilities.
- Let everyone know that you are the executor. In some states, you are legally required to tell certain people and entities. Those are something that an estate attorney can help you with.
- Get assistance from tax professionals to file a final tax return.
Do You Need The Help Of A Trust & Estate Administration Attorney In California?
If you need legal help with an estate or trust issue you should speak with an experienced trust and estate administration attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 800.756.5596 to claim your space at one of our free, informative seminars. Your attendance will qualify you for a discount for our estate and trust administration services. We proudly serve clients throughout California with offices in Torrance, Newport Beach, Orange, Woodland Hills and Pasadena.