People of all ages need to do estate planning, even Millennials who are just starting to consider themselves grown-ups. These important tasks are outlined in “Why Everyone Needs a Will (I’m Talking to You, Millennials)” on

Designate Your Beneficiaries. You can list your beneficiaries on your retirement accounts (401(k), 403(b), IRA, etc.) when you complete the application. Likewise, you can designate your beneficiaries on bank and investment accounts by setting up a TOD (Transfer on Death) designation. It’s easy to do and costs nothing. Remember that beneficiary designations supersede any wish you make in a will.

Draft Your Will. A will is a legal document and is a written statement of your intentions, including where you want your possessions to go and how you want the orderly disposition to happen. See an attorney, as each state has different laws.

State Your Health Care Wishes. Use a Health Care Proxy to let someone you trust make health care decisions and carry out your health care wishes in the event that you are incapacitated.

Sign a Durable Power of Attorney. This form allows someone you trust to make financial decisions in the event you are unable to do so. There is a huge difference between a limited power and durable power of attorney. Talk to your estate planning attorney about these documents.

An experienced estate planning attorney can spend time with you and review your estate issues, complete a will, health care proxy, durable power of attorney, and check beneficiaries, as well as any tax issues. Use an attorney who specializes in this area to ensure your wishes are properly documented and you achieve what you are trying to accomplish, now and in the future.

Do You Need To Speak With An Attorney About Estate Planning?

If you need to speak with an experienced estate planning lawyer please contact us online or call us directly at 800.756.5596 to first register for one of our free, informative seminars. Your attendance will qualify you for a special discount for our estate planning services should you decide to make a free appointment at the conclusion of the seminar and choose to proceed with us. We proudly serve clients throughout California with offices in Torrance, Newport Beach, Orange, Woodland Hills and Pasadena.

Philip J. Kavesh
Nationally recognized attorney helping clients with customized estate planning guidance for over 40 years.
Post A Comment