Contributed by Belmont Village Senior Living
Choosing a Senior Living community is a big step that many wait until after a life-altering event has occurred to make, but that’s not the best time to start looking. Research shows an active lifestyle, with regular physical and mental exercise, social interaction, and the right diet, are essential to good health. The best choice will offer those options, and will also be able to accommodate any changes that occur down the road.
- Be Safe – Always top priority.
- Is the community licensed to provide health services?
- Is a licensed nurse on-site 24/7?
- Does staff receive on-going training?
- Is there a written care plan for each resident?
- Think Ahead – The community should still be a good fit if needs change.
- Pay attention to ease of navigation and safety measures.
- Ask about care programs, even if you don’t need them now.
- Are pharmacy services available?
- Be Comfortable – The community should be clean and inviting. Is the staff friendly? Do residents appear happy and engaged?
- Be Active – Ask to see the daily calendar.
- Is there plenty to do?
- Is transportation available?
- Are there salon services?
- Exercise Options – Look for a managed fitness center.
- Are there multiple exercise classes?
- Is therapy available?
- Eat Well, Live Well – Stop by for a meal.
- Are there a variety of appetizing and nutritious options?
- Are special diets accommodated?
- Look for heart-healthy choices as well as those rich in anti-oxidants.
- Understand Contracts and Costs – Review the payment structure carefully. Is it a monthly fee, or a buy-in? What are termination and refund policies? How are care charges structured?
- Don’t Forget Memory Care – Ask about dedicated activities for every day enrichment, plus specialized programs for Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s disease. Are there specific goals to help maintain cognitive function?
Belmont Village Senior Living is a leading provider of assisted living and award-winning memory care. For more information, call 310-377-9977 or visit www.belmontvillage.com/ranchopalosverdes